Sweet Beets

We've been over the fact that despite my crunchy leanings, I am not a health nut. I don't freak out about my food being organic, I love chocolate too much to cut it out of my diet, and I eat what's affordable and delicious.

Still, I like a lot of things that are healthy and seasonal, like BEETS! I love a good roasted or pickled beet. It generally satisfies my sweet tooth the same way some fruits do, and I can sit around and eat a ton of them. To make a batch of roasted beets last, I will put them in a salad. Luckily, beets have been abundantly available throughout this burgeoning spring season, just as I have a constant craving for them. 
Fresh brussels sprouts and beets from the local Farmers Market

So, I thought I'd share my recipe for a decent and quick salad. I often roast about 4 large beets myself at home in advance while I'm meal prepping for the week. It's pretty simple: first, peel the beets and chop off the greens and that weird dangly end part (save the greens if you have even a clue of what to do with them- I do not). Second, chop the beets into roughly 1 inch cubes. Third, toss the chunks in a big bowl with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and smoked paprika (or whatever else you think will enhance their flavor/work well with the sweetness). 

Lastly, spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or not, but prepare for mess), and roast in the oven at 425° F for 45 minutes. You can do them a little longer, but I like mine with a bit of bite. If I'm planning on sharing with Baby A., I go easy on the pepper and I cook them longer so they get a big softer.

For the salad, I buy those plastic packs of spring salad mix, I'm not even sure what exactly is in them except baby spinach. I use whatever I have on hand to accentuate the salad, but this time I had chopped pecans, goat cheese, and a roasted garlic balsamic vinaigrette I saw on sale from the Fresh Market. I tossed the salad together in the bowl as I ate it, and I ate it fast because it was damned delicious. Highly recommend, v. good. LOL!!

Hope you give it a go and enjoy!

-Big A.

Comments

Popular Posts