#MomGoals

I did not intend this blog to be this Martha Stewart-wannabe blabber, you guys.

Of course, I do aspire to current Martha + Snoop levels of kitchen and chill, but I am not this perfect housewife.
#goals
First of all, I never meant to stay home with my son for this long. We intended on daycare around the 3-4 month mark, but we were on wait lists for daycares until he was almost 6 months old. Then, around the same time spots daycare spots were opening up, so did our next set of orders, and we found out we'd have to move in about 6 months; so we were faced with having me go back to work and being away from Baby A., only to give most of my paycheck to a daycare. And that would last for 6 months, at which point we'd need to pick up and move jobs, daycares, and homes. It just didn't make a lot of logistical or financial sense for our family. Luckily, we could afford this option, although it's definitely crazy to think that me NOT working was actually the more financially sound idea.

I had high hopes for my time home. Sure, I knew the first few months of my baby's life would be tough on me, especially since I had decided to breastfeed and cloth diaper. I'm already a little nutty about keeping the house in order, but in my mind, I figured I could keep a perfect house, have an adorable and constantly happy baby, and spend all my free time coming up with a plan to go back into the workforce once we were settled with our new orders. (I know all the moms are laughing at that one!) Then, I'd miraculously be able to keep up with all of my crunchy granola activities while also working full-time. 

Here's the gag, though: babies don't care about your perfectly orchestrated schedule and clean house. Honestly, most of the world doesn't even care about it. You can't always plan for bad weather, traffic, illness, and all the other hazards that wait to assail your best laid plans. 

That idea, alone, gives me anxiety, because I'm human and humans don't always adapt to change well, especially unexpected changes. Add to that the general social pressure for moms, both working and stay-at-home moms, to just be everything to your family, and it's easy to get stressed out. 

Sometimes, I feel like I need to work so hard to look like the perfect mom, that it probably escapes me that I'm not in the moment enough to just be the perfect mom. Baby A. just needs me to be there, doing what I feel is right and best to make sure he has the best opportunities I can give him using the time, energy, and resources available to me. And every mom has their own way of doing that, so I can't spend my time and energy comparing myself to some unrealistic ideal of what a mom should be... and I know there are ladies out there able to do it all and just killin' it. I have such respect for that, and it's definitely my #momgoals. 

For now, though, I'm going to focus my energy on making my time with my son at home matter by infusing each moment with all the love I have for him, and reminding myself that it's enough.



~ Big Love from Big and Baby A. ⚓

Comments

Popular Posts