Exploring Leavenworth, KS

I have a wanderer's spirit. My exuberance about exploring new areas is a lot of what drew me to the Navy... although I went to fewer places with the Navy while I was active duty than before or after I was in!

We did take a short drive around our new environment to see what it has to offer...but we haven't done a lot of exploring the town of Leavenworth, Kansas, specifically. I had a short list of places to check out based on some suggestions from other bloggers and military families who were stationed here previously, so Baby A. and I have made our way out West like Lewis and Clark, except minus all the horrible treatment of Native people!

First stop was for coffee. I'd seen a few people in this area check in to Meriwether's, named for Meriwether Lewis of the famed Lewis and Clark duo. This cafe and shop is in one of Leavenworth's many historic buildings, and it's charming stock and appearance are certainly worth a visit. I grabbed a  cinnamon-topped drink called Sacajawea and perused the candy, bulk items (like quinoa, unbleached flour, and spices) and handmade soaps and scrubs. I left with a lavender body scrub, but as a sucker for local and handmade products, I know I'll be back.

 Afterwards, I felt the water calling (as per usual) and headed as close to the ocean as you can get here- the Missouri River. This river wends its way across several states, and was a major tributary for those making their way along the Sante Fe and Oregon Trail. All around this area were key stops for travelers looking to reach the western part of the then-unnamed United States of America, and there are a lot of historic markers that show it's importance. On base, near the train tracks by the river, a marker can be found in front of a huge depressed part of the ground, indicating where so many people had traveled across the river and up the bank to continue on their way westward. Off base, there is a park dedicated to Leavenworth being the first real city of the state of Kansas due to it's location along the river and most-used trails west.



 While this is clearly not the same as the beach, the silty scent of the river is a little like the bays of my youth, and satisfied my spirit for the time being. Baby A. enjoyed the breeze and "tees" (trees) as he has been pointing out lately. 
 We'd been to a pretty large Farmer's Market in Kansas City's River Market area, but I knew there had to be a Farmer's Market in Leavenworth, and in every one of these rural towns, probably. I just assume that, similar to where I grew up, folks sold their wares locally on weekends. Sure enough, I passed a sign and made my way to Haymarket Square (coincidentally and conveniently right outside of Meriwether's Cafe). I limited myself to the $10 in cash I had on me, and snagged a big box of peaches as well as some blackberry banana jam, both of which are currently some of Baby A.'s favorite. I love when peaches are in season and will certainly be looking forward to apple picking season. I better get my pie crust recipe together soon!


Finally, we wrapped the day's exploration up closer to home on post, at the Buffalo Soldier Monument. It's sort of set up like a small park across the street from the base's golf course, so there were folks fishing out of the small lake and enjoying the warmth of the day under shady trees lining the monument. Baby A. loves water features and spent the time it took me to read the plaques checking out the view. I do not know what he is signing to me in the photo, either, because he constantly signs eat, more, and the Itsy Bitsy Spider song request.

Buffalo Soldiers were black soldiers of the 9th and 10th Calvary Regiments that fought on behalf of our new nation throughout the Indian Wars, and earned their title from the Cheyenne warriors out of respect for their bravery in battle. Colin Powell went to the Command and General Staff College here in Fort Leavenworth as a junior officer, and always felt that there should be a memorial to these soldiers. When he made General, he was able to make that happen. He recently received his own statue nearby, which was dedicated in his honor just a few years ago. It feels significant to me to be here and I want my son to be exposed to as much of this kind of history as possible.

Apparently, just last year, a bust of the only female Buffalo Soldier, and only female to serve in the US Army until the 19th century, Cathay Williams, was dedicated in the town's Cultural Center and Museum, so that will definitely be on our to-see list! 

Also on our must-see list of Kansas are some more of the Oregon Trail, a Delawarean beer-maker's stops, and of course, a BBQ hit list!

Suggestions welcome, fellow midwesterners! (Or Great Plainsians??)

-Big A.

Comments

Popular Posts