Big Boy Eater

I already am beginning to understand why people say that kids eat you out of house and home, and especially about the male part of our species. 

My son is cramming an incredible amount of food down his gullet now that he can eat practically anything we can cut up or make softer. He eats a solid 3 squares, with snacks in between, and this is also in addition to about 4 breastfeeding sessions a day still! I don't think he really needs to breastfeed anymore, but I am hoping to give him every last bit of illness immunity and cuddling that I can before he decides he's disinterested. He seems to still like it in the mornings and before bed, thankfully.

In the mornings, he likes 2 eggs scrambled (he gets cheese if I'm making some for myself or hubs, too), a fruit, and sometimes a starch, like a biscuit or pancake. BUT TWO EGGS, THOUGH??!? 
A typical breakfast for my boy: eggs and some fruits. Here, it's bananas with natural peanut butter and a watermelon + mint + feta salad. 

Above, we have an example breakfast of 2 scrambled eggs, some white cheddar cheese sticks, and some biscuit halves with raw, organic honey on them.

The biscuits were the first to go in the above meals. They didn't stand a chance with this kid. He devours these breakfasts with such unhampered joy and love that I have been turning off the TV and he doesn't even notice. I thought he needed it to zen out in the morning, but we can sit in silence and he'd be just fine. It's really the only TV he watches unless hubs is home, but clearly all that matter is getting his yum on.
He makes an unholy mess out of it, but I sure do love watching him eat. I just got some more versatile bibs. Some are almost full shirts and some have extra pockets to catch all the crumbs, although as his dexterity increases, there are fewer crumbs. He also makes this noise, "mmm-mmm-uuhnnn" like he is experiencing the purest ecstasy just gobbling down the delicious foods we give him each time. Seriously, it is absolutely hilarious and also satisfying to see someone so fully enjoy your cooking.

For lunches, we usually have leftovers from previous dinners that week. Recently, I made some tortellini in vodka sauce and he was so enthralled, showing Tallulah Bear and I each piece he planned to inhale. Tallulah Bear has learned that Baby A. is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals she may miss from her daily dose of dog food, and parks herself faithfully under his high chair until I shoo her away. Baby. A. has seen her and will try to "share" food with her, often resulting in either a licked piece of food (yuck) or a crying baby because Bear will take the whole piece if she can. 
I am thoroughly enjoying introducing Baby A. to new foods, and I am still making the to-go food pouches about weekly, since they make excellent snacks while we're out. Generally I make fruit smoothie-type pouches, like kiwi banana, cucumber and pear, and applesauces. I'm happy to report that my little baby is becoming such an enthusiastic eater, trying and enjoying nearly all the foods we give to him! Hopefully, he'll continue to enjoy trying new foods and we can avoid being a chicken fingers and macaroni only family! 

-Big A. 

Comments

Popular Posts