Lessons Learned from PCSing Overseas

Well, I've certainly learned a lot from this move to Italy. 

And one of the main things was about how to be better prepared for it! As hubs was in school about 3 months prior to the move, and I only stopped working about a month before we had to leave, a lot of the prep was on me. I don't feel it was my best work! Also, we had a large house/amount of things to organize and prep for a significant downsize, as well as leaving the house in good shape for renters.

Some things we learned, or wish we did better/differently:

- There is a way to designate your HHG (household goods) shipment as "express," apparently!

- The military allows you to store items back in the states while you're overseas, paid for, and can include weapons.

- Unaccompanied Baggage- Truly could be it's own post, because I should have included way more in the unaccompanied baggage shipment, like pots and pans, more bedding, more clothes for myself (I packed plenty for the boys!), and included some more homey touches, like Halloween decor/costumes, and basically everything I used to buy in my Grove shipments. I didn't know we were allowed to pack some of those items, or that we could have put more in there, in general, like liquids. I also meant to have packed a trash can (the movers forgot to take it), and our Phil & Ted lobster clip high chair.

Baby E making due with the portable, camping style high chair we traveled with; it attaches by straps to most dining chairs.

- Joined more Facebook groups and reached out to some of the other spouses in advance who were already here. I met a friend-of-a-friend in Tampa, who became MY friend, and it was super nice to know people ahead of arrival. (We also lived around the corner from my friend from high school, and a mile from my Aunt, so we truly had a built-in support system back in Tampa!)

- Most of the hotels/temporary lodging we stayed in had an available pack n' play, so we probably could have gotten away with not bringing ours and just having a universal sheet, instead...however, we did learn a standard large dog bed under the sheet is a great, usually available way to make them more palatable for a baby to adapt to after sleeping on a normal crib mattress. 

- I wish I'd brought Tallulah Bear. I miss my sweet girl so much, it aches daily. Even after the flights are all over, I do still believe it would have been a lot for her and very stressful to manage for me, so the best I can do now is work on seeing if it's feasible to fly her here at some later date. 

Baby E is also missing his sweet Bear.

Fair winds!

-Big A⚓

Comments

Popular Posts