Taco Tuesday!

I know I named this post "Taco Tuesday" and I will release it on a Tuesday but who am I kidding? Any day in our house, any day in sunny Florida, is a taco day!

As a taco addict, I scoped out a few of my favorite taco spots and immediately found a place that is maybe a little #basic, because it's in a super cute, ritzy shopping area and is a chain restaurant. But... that doesn't stop me from crushing on their tacos and margaritas! If you come visit me, I will certainly take you to this spot and sit you outside and force you to order a few tacos. 

But there are times when... you have a toddler. And it's weekday. And you just gotta make a decently healthy but delicious meal before 6:30 when that little maniac goes to bed. 
Enter: cauliflower tacos. That can be made ahead of time or just take 30 or so minutes to put together. That are totally filling but don't leave you feeling gross afterwards. Win-win.
My child waits for NO tacos! He was crying for ice cream. #mytruelegacy
After I'd had those tacos at the restaurant, I went searching for a copy cat recipe and was rewarded with the knowledge that my fave spot is likely more of a copy cat than the recipe I found. Still. This recipe from the Minimalist Baker nailed it. And, funnily enough, the chef who put it together was going for a taco she'd had in Kansas City, where we moved from last year. Total 6 degrees of taco-based separation moment, here, guys. 

I'm basically just linking this recipe because, what's there to change? An almond-based romesco sauce?  Crispy-but-soft-to-perfection roasted cauliflower bites? A tasty spiciness that you can tailor to your liking? MAKE THIS NOW!

Now, I do adapt to our household needs: my husband doesn't like his mouth in flames (married the wrong woman amirite😈) so I lower the heat by doing just one chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, and I save the rest for my chicken chili. Sometimes I forget that the instructions say to roast some unpeeled garlic cloves with the almonds, and I peel them, but it still is yummy anyway. 
Lastly, this makes a LOT of sauce and two whole heads of cauliflower. That leaves my family of three a little too much leftovers, so I typically only roast one head of cauliflower, and I put the excess romesco in a cleaned out pasta sauce glass jar for later. The next time I'm craving it, I only have to roast the cauliflower which is PERFECT and easy and quick. 
I think what makes tacos so universally appealing is the ability to customize, and outside of the sauce for these (which i will also add to any other taco we make), I like some queso fresco, cilantro, and a squeeze of lime. Hubs tends to add sour cream, and my son loves avocado as an addition to anything. So go crazy. Have a taco Wednesday. Just make this soon. Your taste buds will bow down.

Happy eating!

Big A. ⚓

Comments

Popular Posts