Return to Curl Home (DevaCut Experience)

My curls have been really struggling between all of the moves, weather changes, new life stress, and my quest to find good products. Just when I thought I had it together, I didn't. 

I knew I needed a restart, and it would probably be in the form of a haircut. I wasn't looking forward to any more cutting because I experienced this nightmare parading as a Deva Cut (left is before and right is after):

And I vowed never again to let someone cut my hair unless their hair looked like mine. The lady who did it in Kansas (woof- first mistake?) had straight hair that was barely clinging to a wave she'd tried to curl in, and she rushed me through what was basically a regular, terrible hair cut. It's hard to tell but she left JUST TWO little curls in the front dangling. Like exactly one lock on each side of my face, much longer than the rest of the hair, which was also cut in a style that screamed "let me talk to your manager!" Plus, she chopped off so much right away, despite me asking for a hair cut that would facilitate growth and length. By the time her first couple of cuts was done, my hair was SO short in the back she had no choice but to even it out by making it so short all the way around.

So, when we moved to Tampa, FL, and I saw a lot of curly hair around, I figured I should start looking for a new stylist to trust again. I did a lot of instagramming and googling, and found Adriana, who works at/owns A+M Beauty Lounge and had a plethora of curly cut photos on her instagram. She was also booked way out. So basically it was a little over a year since my last hair cut when I walked into her salon.

First of all, she took the time to explain EVERYTHING to me. She didn't snip or cut or put in product without talking to me about each step. THIS is what a Deva Cut/Curly cut is supposed to be like, folks!!

Secondly, these cuts start with dry hair, so the stylist can see what your hair is like and determine a plan based on that. This is kind of revolutionary; how many times do you get your hair done and it's so individual?! So, we discussed my hair, and she was finishing my sentences, anticipating the issues I deal with, and recommending a better way at every turn. I couldn't have been more impressed and thankful to feel comforted that she knew 100% what she was doing. It doesn't hurt that she is also very chic with a curly cut, as well!!

So I went in like this: 


And we started with some cutting, after which I was pleased to find the shape and weighed-down look of my hair had already drastically improved:


Then I received an oil pull, shampoo and condition (I bought the line she used in the salon because I really liked the smell, texture, and natural ingredients of Innersense). Afterwards, she took me through the steps of how I should dry my hair (diffusing, not moving the blow dryer or your hands through your hair too much, and specific products). She styled it and did a few more cuts here and there to adjust for the new lightness of my curls after they were freed from the grossness of a year without any help. I was very pleased with the definition, the softness, and the shape/volume:
 Now, I'm not going to give you all of the exact details that she told me to do, because everyone's hair is different- I mean, my own hair is so much different from what it was even a year ago, or before and after my pregnancy, or before that. I think what is important to share is that you be picky about your product use, and give thought to your environment and schedule when choosing those. Develop a routine that works for you with a stylist who talks to you about your hair and desires for it before cutting anything!
 Mad shout out to Adriana at A+M Beauty Lounge for not just giving me a good hair cut, but also for walking me step-by-step through the maintenance and routine I can do to keep it up. I have confidence in my hair again!

Hope you have a happy, curly day! 💇⚓

Comments

Popular Posts