Homemade Popsicles

As we transition to autumn, we are getting all this crazy weather where it's hot hot hot then all of the sudden it turns cool, sometimes rainy, even dreary. Throughout the summer, I was working on perfecting a homemade popsicle for Baby A. Finally, I created a good mix that he loves, and I love to feed him. Somehow, it still feels just right for even the cool weather, because the creaminess of it has that belly-filling/stomach coating goodness you'd get from a warm food!

I started with the premise of those Outshine fruit & yogurt bars. Baby A. had tried a peach one, and it was okay, but chalky. I chalked that up to the numerous ingredients (haha) and decided I needed to make a simple one at home. 

The first popsicle i tried was just Greek yogurt and mango blended up and frozen in some popsicle molds I had. Baby A. seemed to enjoy the taste, but the molds for a regular popsicle were too large for him and the straw attachment it had was wasted on him because he didn't know how to hold it upright to collect and suck up the drippings.

I googled a little bit, and tried what became a winning solution:

  • 1-2 cups of yogurt (Greek, plain, or even Greek with honey)
  • 1 banana
  • 1/2 cup of natural (no sugar/salt added) peanut butter
  • A good squeeze of pure honey (if you like it sweet!) 


I blended the ingredients until it was smooth with no chunks, then poured the mixture into cake pop molds. The cake pop molds I have are domed, and only hold a couple of ounces of mixture, which is just enough for Baby A. After I poured all of it, I stuck them in the freezer for about an hour.


After an hour, I stuck popsicle sticks into the slightly hardened mixture. This worked to keep the sticks upright until it finished freezing completely (a few hours later or overnight works well). 

Baby A. had a blast and except for the mess he makes, it's totally a win!!

Other good creaming substitutes are avocado, nutella, and other nut butters that are creamy or can be blended into something creamy. We still sometimes throw in a yogurt + peaches pop if we can find fresh peaches. 

Let me know if you try this- they're good for adults and kiddos!! ⚓

Comments

Popular Posts