Travels with Baby (Part 1)

Whew! We are just getting settled back into our routine after getting home from a wonderful trip to San Diego to visit friends and family (and our beloved ocean). It was just the As this trip, as hubs had to stay focused on school during the weekdays, but it was so good to see our loved ones and enjoy some of the Pacific coast! 

Just as I was returning, a friend of mine messaged me to ask about traveling since we increased our family membership. I realized how important it has always been to see the world around me, to experience different people, places, and cultures...it's definitely a part of what drew me to the Navy, and my husband. One of our favorite things to do as a couple has been traveling, whether it be to a gorgeous Caribbean retreat or down the street to taste sheep's cheese at a local farm. After we got married, we planned to put off having children so we could use our free time to enjoy each other and plan adventures without worrying about anyone but ourselves.

Still, we have always had Kierra, then Tallulah Bear, and you still have to make arrangements for your pets, even if the arrangement is to take them along. We've had some enjoyable trips that were focused on the outdoor attractions, and we generally try to take our pupper along with us if we can find a dog-friendly place to stay, because our doggos are family. 
A trip to Chincoteague Island and lighthouse with Kierra, 2010
When I think about it, though, arranging for a dog to accompany you on a trip or making arrangements for your pupper to be cared for while you're gone is about as stressful as just packing up your kid and taking them with you, since dogs aren't always welcome, but a baby that stays strapped to your chest and eats from the same location can kind of go anywhere. I mean it- we've been to breweries, weddings, and brunches with Baby A!

There are definitely a few key things that can make a huge difference in a trip with a child in tow, so I figured I'd devote a couple of posts to things that made our travels easier for anyone wondering how we kept sane and still had a good time with our little dude on board. I think that planning can be it's own discussion and is based on the circumstances at hand, so I'll focus on that part later, but for now, I know everyone is always focused on the stuff!! Here are a few items that made for a smoother trip with Baby A. 

Carrier

I was SUCH a skeptic before I had kids about baby wearing, and now I am the biggest fan of it! Imagine you could give your child the safe and secure feeling of being tightly on you in a swaddle-like environment, but they can still check out their surroundings, and you can still use your own hands... you guys, that's baby wearing. As my cousin once pointed out, having a baby with you is like "a crying backpack," except if you're wearing that baby, they likely will not cry for long!! Most babies find it comforting to be tight and close to mom or dad or another caregiver. And if your LO doesn't like to be too restricted, you can easily find a carrier or way to tie your wrap that allows for some arm and leg freedom. The best part is that you can still move around, use your arms, leave the damn house, etc. and you don't need to drag your stroller around. Plus once your kiddo is a little older and has more head control, you can swing them to your back for even more freedom. 
I use my baby bjorn a lot more now because it has a higher weight limit than our Moby Wrap, but the wrap was perfect for when Baby A. was tiny and liked a cozy place to sleep during flights, late night events, or even when he was having a bit of acid reflux (keeps them upright while they sleep!) The baby bjorn has done the same, except I like to put him on my back more now. We zipped easily through airport security and he had a lovely nap on the plane. 


Entertainment

I'm going to be honest: before I had kids, I was judge-y about passing kids a phone or iPad for entertainment. But now I see that sometimes you've tried everything else and you only have so much space or ability to prevent a breakdown by entertaining your kiddo. There is a time before your kids can really understand being polite or giving you a break from constant attention when using another resource to keep their attention off of say, the guy in the airplane seat next to you, is extremely helpful. 

I've talked about how we were able to entertain Baby A. with the Grapple on planes and in restaurants, but I have definitely also used my phone to play a little bit of music or show him the selfie camera to buy myself 2-3 minutes. Travel can be tough already, with the long lines, lots of waiting, inexplicably having to remove your shoes 😝 and other stuff that your kids don't understand or appreciate. If you can reach a final destination (hopefully a vacation-related location for you!) and ensure yourself a smooth trip with kids, DO IT. 

Snacks

And on that non-judge-y note, I am not above feeding my kid to keep him calm. I know there are all those studies showing that allowing kids to connect comfort and food lead to obesity...gotcha. But if my baby fell asleep while breastfeeding, I was going to lay him down and catch up on my sleep, too. And if giving him something to drink or suck on helps make an ascending plane less frightening and ear-popping for him, he's getting a squeeze pouch or a drink. Sometimes just before dinner he has a graham cracker because it takes him a while to get through it without filling him up so much that he doesn't want dinner. I now have a kid that dances impatiently alongside the dog when a snack food bag crinkles, LOL! But as long as his doctor says he's on track with his growth and health based on what he's currently getting (which includes a balanced diet most of the time when we're home), you'll continue to see him devouring snack foods while we wait in line for security at the airport! 


Okay, until next time (planning a trip!), Happy Travels.

-Big A. 

Comments

Popular Posts